Woman ‘took Uber to grandma’s house and slashed her throat 22 times’

A woman who slit the throats of her grandma and her grandma’s partner has told police that "things got out of hand".

Harlee Swols, 22, left an Uber driver waiting outside her grandmother’s flat while she went inside to stab 72-year-old Maryrose Riach and James Samuel Bell, 63, multiple times.

She told police in the United States that she’d been invited to the flat by her grandma in order to pick up some belongings.

But according to NBC Connecticut, when Swols – who has been charged with two counts of murder – visited the property she was in violation of a protective order following a domestic incident between her and Bell last month.

In the attack on Sunday evening, her grandmother suffered 22 "sharp force injuries" while Bell, her boyfriend, received 30 stab wounds. Both of them had had their throats cut, according to the pathologist.

The brutal attack happened at about 6.30pm in Enfield, Connecticut. According to the police’s arrest report, a neighbour called officers after hearing a shout for help.

When they arrived at the flat, they found Riach on her porch "face down in a pool of blood".

They kicked in the door, where they found Swols in the kitchen, "soaking wet with water and a blood-like substance".

Bell – who was found "face down, on his knees, near the bottom corner of the bed … a large laceration from one side of his neck to the other and across the area of the artery" – was pronounced dead at the scene while his partner was declared dead at hospital.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

"The accused had blood all over her clothes and was showing no emotion," the police statement said.

Swols had hired the Uber to pick her up from a Staples shop where she worked. She had planned to make three stops on the trip, with the visit to the flat the first of them.

The Uber driver told police he was waiting for her to return to the car when he heard glass smashing and a scream for help.

Swols told officers she didn’t remember how the situation had escalated out of control but said she got hold of the knife after Bell lunged at her with it.

When asked what happened next, she told police: "Not good things, clearly."

Source: Read Full Article