Health Secretary Matt Hancock has told MPs there are now "four confirmed deaths" connected to the coronavirus outbreak in the UK.
Mr Hancock confirmed the latest death as he responded to an urgent question in Parliament.
He told MPs: “Here in the UK, as of this morning, there were 319 cases.
“Very sadly this now includes four confirmed deaths.”
He continued: “I entirely understand why people are worried and concerned and we send our condolences to the families.”
St Patrick’s Day Parade cancelled in Dublin over coronavirus
UK coronavirus cases rise to 319 as 46 more people found to have killer disease
The Health Secretary then said the NHS was prepared for the outbreak and that a new system, designed to bring in faster test results, was being introduced.
He told MPs: "We will shortly bring forward legislative options to help people and services to tackle this outbreak.
"The Bill will be temporary and proportionate with measures that last only as long as necessary in line with clinical advice."
Mr Hancock added: "We will stop at nothing to get this response right."
It was later confirmed the latest victim was a woman aged in her 70s who had underlying health issues and had been treated at a Wolverhampton hospital.
The tragic death comes just one day after it was confirmed a man in his 60s became the third person in the country to die from the illness.
Snooker bosses considering hosting World Champs without fans over coronavirus
Coronavirus fears for Tube as Transport for London worker tests positive
Chief Medical Officer for England, Professor Chris Whitty, said the male patient was aged 60 and had "significant underlying" health conditions.
He had returned from Italy.
Meanwhile in London, the number of cases soared to over 50 earlier on Monday.
Source: Read Full Article