Get quick and easy recipes straight to your inbox
A 15-year-old girl who passed away following an allergic reaction after Pret a Manger baguette has had a new law named after her.
Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, from Fulham in southwest London, died on July 17 in 2016 after eating a Pret a Manger artichoke, olive and tapenade baguette as she was about to board a flight at Heathrow airport
According to MyLondon, she was severely allergic to sesame seeds but did not know it contained the ingredient.
Natasha’s Law, which came into effect today, means businesses have to label all food that is prepacked for direct sale with a full list of ingredients, with the 14 major allergens emphasised in the list.
Her parents, Nadim and Tanya Ednan-Laperouse said their daughter would be "very proud of a new law in her name" but it also reminded them how Natasha's death was "completely avoidable".
In a statement, her parents said: "The introduction of Natasha’s Law is a bittersweet moment for us. We are delighted that people with food allergies will now have great protection through improved labelling and we know in our hearts that Natasha would be very proud of a new law in her name.
"However, the new law also reminds us that Natasha’s death was completely avoidable.
Woman, 25, begged mum for help in final text before suffering fatal stroke
"Natasha’s Law is about saving lives and marks a major milestone in our campaign to support people in this country with food allergies.
"This change in the law will give people with food allergies confidence when they are buying pre-packaged food for direct sale such as sandwiches and salads. Everyone should be able to consume food safely."
The new law will require pre-wrapped sandwiches, fast food that’s already in packaging before a customer places their order, and supermarket items such as cheeses and meat from the deli counter that are already wrapped to be labelled with ingredients.
To keep up to date with all the latest news stories, make sure you sign up to one of our newslettershere
Emily Miles, Chief Executive of the Food Standards Agency, said: "This is a huge step in helping improve the quality of life for around 2 million people living with food allergies in this country.
"If these changes drive down the number of hospital admissions caused by food allergies, which has increased threefold over the past 20 years, and prevent further tragic deaths such as Natasha’s, that can only be a positive thing.
"I understand how difficult the past 18 months have been for food businesses, and I am grateful for the effort that so many have made to prepare for the changes."
- In the News
Source: Read Full Article