Suffolk Strangler arrested over murder of teenager dumped naked in ditch in 1999

Steve Wright, the Suffolk Strangler, has been arrested over the murder of a 17-year-old girl who was dumped naked in a ditch in 1999, it has been reported.

Wright, then 49, was convicted of murdering Tania Nicol, 19, Gemma Adams, 25, Anneli Alderton, 24, Paula Clennell, 24, and Annette Nicholls, 29, after a trial at Ipswich Crown Court in 2008 and handed a life sentence.

On Wednesday, Wright was arrested at Long Lartin prison in Worcestershire over the murder of Victoria Hall, The Telegraph reports.

Victoria left home on the evening of Saturday, September 18, 1999, to go for a night out with a friend at the Bandbox nightclub in Bent Hill, Felixstowe, where they remained until around 1am on the morning of Sunday, September 19.

They then went to get some food at the Bodrum Grill in Undercliff Road West, before beginning the walk back to Trimley St Mary.

They parted at around 2.20am near the junction of High Road and Faulkeners Way. Victoria was just yards away from her home.

When Victoria’s parents woke up that morning and discovered that she had not returned home, the police were called and a missing person inquiry commenced.

  • Dad beaten into a coma after asking thugs to turn music down

Five days later, on Friday, September 24, Victoria’s naked body was found in a ditch beside a field by a dog walker in Creeting Lane, Creeting St Peter, approximately 25 miles away from where she was last seen.

Post-mortem examinations discovered she had been strangled but the case has remained unsolved.

Suffolk Police reportedly reopened an investigation into her passing after receiving new "significant" information from witnesses.

  • Baby stabbed to death with girl fighting for life as cries of 'Oh My God' heard

Although the force did not name the man arrested, a spokesman said it was "a result of the work that has been going on for the past two years".

In a statement on its website, Suffolk Police said: "As a result of the work that has been ongoing for the past two years, officers arrested a man on suspicion of murder yesterday morning, Wednesday July 28.

"He was taken into police custody for questioning and has now been released under investigation, pending further enquiries.

  • Woman turns detective to track down car thief using CCTV footage and Facebook

For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

"This individual is not someone who had previously been arrested as part of this inquiry.

"Victoria’s family continue to be regularly updated regarding the investigation and are being supported by specialist trained officers."

Detectives are continuing to appeal for anyone with information about Victoria’s death to contact the Major Investigation Team, via either the Major Incident Public Reporting Portal or by calling the incident room direct on 01473 782059 and quoting Operation Avon.

Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers 100% anonymously on 0800 555 111, or via their online form.

Source: Read Full Article