Sleeping teenager electrocuted to death by shock from charging phone overnight

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

We have more newsletters

A teenager has died after being electrocuted by her phone charger.

Khorn Srey Pov, 17, is thought to have fallen asleep on top of her charging device after plugging her phone in and turning the torch light on.

Her body was found on July 27 in Kratie Province, Cambodia with local police saying that she died instantly in her sleep from a massive electric shock.

READ MORE: Horror seagull attack leaves shocked granddad bloodied and bruised in his garden

The girl is believed to have had a shower just before the incident, though it is unclear whether this contributed to her death.

The shocking incident has provoked a conversation on social media about the safety of phone chargers.

"They should be having public awareness campaigns on how to handle electricity," one person wrote.

"I see people touching live wires on those transformer posts all the time, and unfortunate incidents like these happen often," said another.

Though previous incidents have occurred, experts say that the chances of being electrocuted by a charger is low.

In 2013, Apple investigated the death of a woman in China who was reportedly electrocuted after answering a call on her iPhone while it was charging.

And in February, 18-year-old Angel Andrada was electrocuted and died after leaving the family dinner table to charge his phone in Argentina.

However, the risk of injury increases if a poorly made charger is used as they can often overheat, resulting in fire or electric shock.

For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

Earlier this year, a man who became a "human fireball" when he was electrocuted by an 11,000 volt shock has described the moment he came back to life after laying "dead" for several minutes.

Darren Harris, 29, had been urban exploring and collecting scrap from an abandoned steel works in Wolverhampton when he put his hand on a live copper bar and was instantly "catapulted" across the room by the voltage.

Somehow Darren regained consciousness and managed to flag down an ambulance passing by chance.

READ NEXT

  • For more of the latest news from the world of the Daily Star, check out our homepage.
  • UK braced for month of 'super heatwaves' with 40C expected again in just days

  • Brit tourist, 22, accused of ‘beating his dad to death' in furious row at Turkish resort

  • Murderer cornered in Premier Inn after he brutally stabbed parents 280 times

  • Couple who paid £12k for a new garden ended up with ruins and no sign of workers

  • Technology

Source: Read Full Article