Sicko jailed for killing cat with a concrete slab as it tried to wriggle free

A man has been jailed for killing a cat with a heavy slab of concrete as it struggled to escape.

Carl Dyson, 40, wrapped his friend's pal's cat 'Paddy' in a pink blanket before dropping a concrete slab on it.

A neighbour witnessed the incident on October 23 last year, and saw the cat trying to wriggle free before sick Dyson let go of the slab.

At the hearing in Blackpool Magistrates Court, the witness added that the cat was still moving in the backyard, when Dyson picked up the slab and dropped it again to "make doubly sure" that it was dead.

He was caged for 12 weeks after being found guilty.

The neighbour told to alert the RSPCA, who went to the property in Salthouse Avenue in Blackpool to inspect.

  • Satanic scenes on beach as walkers stumble across pig heads on spikes

  • Dog reunited with owner after being stolen five years ago in heartwarming clip

On inspection the RSPCA found "a plethora" of traumatic injuries to the head of the black-and-white cat.

A further veterinary examination showed the cat was suffering from a cancerous tumour in the mouth and was severely underweight.

The defendant claims he was trying to put his friend's cat out of it's misery as it was very ill, he told the RSPCA he believed the cat had been injured in a road accident and he "panicked".

Defence lawyer Gary McAnulty said: "He (the defendant) has seen some blood in the kitchen and he thinks it has been hit by a car. He is concerned that his friend may get into trouble because the cat is in such a bedraggled state.

"What he does is very foolish.

"He himself has had a cat in the past. It brought back memories of how his cat had suffered so he decided to put it out of its misery. He makes it doubly sure by dropping it on the cat's head again."

Mr McAnulty also added that Dyson thought the cat had died immediately on the first impact, but the sentencing magistrates disagreed.

Read More

Today's Top Stories

  • The Queen makes promise to Harry
  • Coronavirus patient on what it's like
  • Teen raped by gang wants them to rot
  • Dog put down in 'worst case of abuse'

Chair of the bench Ed Beaman said: "The cat was attempting to escape from a blanket and was not so ill as to be accepting of his fate.
"There was evidence the cat was distressed while in the blanket prior to the first impact.

"We believe it was still alive prior to the second impact and this was distressing to the cat and the witnesses."

Prosecutor, Paul Ridehalgh said: "In the vet's opinion, the dropping or placing of concrete slabs is not an acceptable method of euthanasia and any responsible person would have taken the cat to the vets."

Dyson, from Belmont Avenue, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to causing unnecessary suffering.

He was also banned indefinitely from owning, keeping or caring for animals and was ordered to pay £85 prosecution costs.

Source: Read Full Article