Mum’s council house hell as daughter plunges through 2ft hole and over balcony

A mum says her disabled daughter is "lucky to be alive" after falling through a hole in the kitchen floor after the council moved them into an ‘“unlivable” flat.

The four-year-old, who has been diagnosed with autism and ADHD was lucky to walk away with only minor scratches and bruising after falling through the rotten floorboards and over the flat's balcony.

But mum Fiona Wood says she was lucky to survive the fall through the two-foot hole.

Speaking to My London she said: “She fell over the balcony and it was only because I grabbed her by a hair and swung back she didn't fall to her death.

“They're telling me to let her sleep in the sitting room where she had easy access because there was no lock key on the balcony door and she could fall over the balcony at any time.”

Fiona is now terrified for her daughter's safety every time she hears a floorboard creak.

The mum of two added: “She was really lucky because the way the floorboards snapped they were so sharp they could have pierced straight through her ankle.

“Even the workmen said she'd been so lucky she just didn't seriously get injured.”

Fiona admitted that on another occasion, a brick from the garden fell and bruised her leg, which she reported to the council.

The council flat in Havering, east London was previously "void" – which meant no tenants were allowed as around £30,000 work was needed to make the property liveable.

Whilst Fiona has been in non-permanent housing for the past six years, the council home is classed as "temporary".

However, Fiona was told if she were to reject a property she would be classified as "intentionally homeless" – which would make her disqualified for any form of council housing.

Left with no other choice, the mum had little choice to accept the house in such a bad state of disrepair.

Keep up to date with all the latest news stories. by signing up for one of Daily Star's free newsletters here.

There were also other issues in the house including an electric fireplace with a draft that left black soot on the carpet, and broken radiators in the children's room, rotting floorboards upstairs, and an entire fence that had collapsed in the garden.

When she reported her faulty bathroom light, Fiona said she was left in the dark for two weeks as she waited for a repair.

Fiona said: “It's absolutely disgusting. I've been put in this house that I should never have with the void on it, especially with a disabled child.”

A spokesperson for Havering Council said: “The council is currently investigating this case.”

Source: Read Full Article