Labour councillor accidentally sets himself on fire during Zoom meeting

A councillor has accidentally set his notepad on fire when trying to light a candle during a Zoom meeting with 30 other colleagues.

City of London councillor Tom Sleigh was on a video call with the Resource Allocation Sub-Committee when the mishap happened.

The Labour Party member shared the footage on Twitter yesterday (December 10), which shows how he frantically puts out the flames after the candle accidentally ignites his pad.

He appears to shout "s**t" as he quickly takes control of the situation and throws the papers off the side.

The speaker and other committee members seem unfazed by the incident and the meeting carries on.

Tom told Local Democracy Reporting Service that he was using a USB lighter to light a candle when things went awry.

He said he had badly burnt his fingers and he had "plunged them into a cold sink" afterwards.

But the councillor made light of the mishap as he mentioned in the tweet: "Today didn't go as smoothly as I hoped."

This is not the first time embarrassing blunders have unfolded in front of the camera during video call.

Boston Borough councillor David Brown was forced to resign when he was seen driving a lorry while participating in a virtual Zoom meeting three months ago.

The live-streamed clip showed the senior councillor steering behind the wheel and appearing to adjust the device several times.

Argentine politician Juan Emilio Ameri was spotted snogging his girlfriend's surgically-enhanced boob during a congress meeting in September.

He defended himself by saying he thought he was disconnected from the meeting at the time.

Source: Read Full Article