Dog dead after being left in ‘squalid’ flat where his diet consisted of cocaine

A dog who'd eaten cocaine had to be put to sleep after vets discovered her left alone in a flat covered in poo.

Tate, an American bulldog, was struggling to walk, falling over and "appeared drunk" when the RSPCA investigators found her.

Animal welfare inspectors went to the Walsall home that belonged to Tate's owner, Gemma Plested, following concerns raised about the American bulldog’s welfare.

When the inspectors arrived at the address in Lichfield Road on January 14 earlier this year, they found the pet in "squalid" conditions, with rubbish, faeces and needles spread across the floor.

RSPCA inspector Vicki Taylor, who investigated the case, saw Tate through a rear window and quickly discovered there was something wrong with her behaviour.

"She was barking but was falling over, head tilting upwards and back," she said. "She was struggling to walk properly and was falling over.

"The dog's eyes appeared glazed, wide and rolling. I called through the letterbox several times but did not get an answer.

"The flat was extremely smelly and cluttered, with rubbish, dog mess and needles all over.

"I went back to look at the dog again, who was still acting abnormal, like a seizure with the neck stretching back and appearing drunk.”

Inspector Taylor called the police, who then had access to the property. Once inside, they saw the dog lying on a bed, unable to stand.

Tate was then rushed to a vet, who suspected she might have been suffering from drug intoxication, so carried out tests.

The report stated: “Drug intoxication in dogs can show many clinical signs and without knowing what type of drug the dog may have come into contact with it is hard to confirm or deny this.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here .

"We decided to take a blood sample to be sent for toxicology. We also took a blood sample to be run in house for a general biochemistry and haematology profile.

"The toxicology reports showed that there were metabolites of cocaine present in Tate's blood.

“Being in a household where drugs are easily accessible is not an ideal situation for any pet.

Drug exposure is not a suitable environment, and there is the potential for injury and suffering from potential drug exposure.”

Sadly, Tate had to be put to sleep on the advice of the vet due to the severity of her condition.

A warrant was issued for Plested's arrest, and she was taken into custody on suspicion of animal welfare offences.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newslettershere.

Source: Read Full Article