Disgusted mum has mushrooms growing from bedroom carpet in horror mouldy flat

A disgusted mum found mushrooms growing from her mould-ridden bedroom carpet.

The woman known only as Mrs Balogun was made to live in horror conditions without any help after her repeated complaints to the council fell on deaf ears.

As well as "a dangerous amount" of damp and mould, Mrs Balogun also suffered from a leaking roof which ruined her expensive Nigerian clothes and soft furnishings.

After getting nowhere with London Borough of Newham Council which owned the Canning Town flat, the Rowland Court resident took legal action and has landed £4,500 in compensation.

Mrs Balogun called in Liverpool-based High Street Solicitors to fight her battle over living with mould, damp, a broken living room door handle and mushrooms growing on her bedroom floor.

She had been complaining to Newham Council for the multiple issues within her home since December 2019.

Mrs Balogun had reported mould and damp in both her bedroom and bathroom, as well as a missing living room handle making it difficult to open the door once it was closed and a defective shower cubicle that didn’t contain water properly.

Her bedroom was the most affected room in the flat with damp and mould on the ceiling and walls and mushrooms growing from her carpet.

The fungi started growing after a leak broke out in the roof which also ruined Mrs Balogun’s expensive Nigerian clothes and soft furnishings.

  • Grieving mum 'burst into tears' over heartwarming text message in Sainsbury's car park

Mrs Balogun’s son also sent multiple emails – most of which were not logged – and once these were disclosed, Newham Council admitted liability.

She explained: “We are very satisfied with the team at High Street Solicitors for helping us come to a resolution after such a long time of repeated requests for repairs from our landlord."

High Street Solicitor’s Housing Head of Department, Larissa Ellis, added: “The team at High Street Solicitors work extremely hard to rectify Housing Disrepair cases.

For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

"No one should be living in such poor conditions in the 21st century. This particular tenant had been ignored for a long period of time and was living with a dangerous amount of damp and mould in her bedroom, as well as multiple other issues.

"She was left with no other option than to seek legal advice and we’re very happy with the outcome of this case."

She continued: "The works will be brought up to legal standards which will resolve these ongoing issues, and Mrs Balogun has been compensated for living in such conditions."

The Daily Star has approached the London Borough of Newham Council for comment.

Source: Read Full Article