A dad-of-four has tragically drowned to death while scuba-diving off a UK coastline to explore an eerie shipwreck.
Peter Morgan, 64, was nine miles off the coast of Anglesey, North Wales when he failed to resurface.
The retired businessman from Macclesfield, Cheshire had travelled over 100miles to examine the MV Segontium wreckage, an inquest heard.
READ MORE: Bodybuilding twins jumped from tower block window in tragic 'suicide pact'
Mr Morgan was visiting the site with diving buddy Michael Dennison. He'd learnt to dive with Mr Dennison in Dubai and had eight years' experience.
The inquest heard how the two men descended 30 to 35m below sea level.
It was said Mr Morgan was having buoyancy issues and "drifted away" from Mr Dennison, reports the Mirror.
When others on the excursion returned to the boat and Mr Morgan did not, a mayday call was made and the coastguard rushed to the scene.
A multi-agency search was launched but sadly Mr Morgan was recovered and pronounced dead at around 7pm.
Mr Dennison said: "He was a lovely guy, bubbly, full of fun, mischievous – I liked him a lot. I'm a very experienced diver and we had dove together on many occasions before.
"During the dive, we were no more than two metres apart. It was murky and visibility was poor.
"We didn't find the wreck, but we had already made the decision beforehand that if that was the case we would dive along the seabed, which we did. When we began ascending, he lost buoyancy slightly and started ascending a bit faster, but this is quite normal.
"He was around three metres above me, I could see that he had adjusted the rate of ascent but then he drifted away from the line and I lost sight of him."
Mr Morgan's wife, Susan Morgan, said that he had "everything to live for" and was a "delighted" grandfather-of-three.
Pathologist Dr Brian Rogers said Mr Morgan would have "drowned within seconds" after passing out during a "rapid, uncontrolled ascent".
A cause of death indicated that Mr Morgan may have drowned as a result of a gas embolism – a bubble that becomes trapped in a blood vessel and blocks it.
It can happen if a scuba diver spends too long underwater, surfaces too quickly or holds their breath as they come up.
Coroner Katie Sutherland said Mr Morgan died as the result of "no more than a simple accident that had tragic consequences".
'Princess', 2, dies from E. coli after poisoning on dream family holiday to Turkey
Baby girl found on conveyor belt at recycling plant may have been 'shaken or smothered'
Dad choked to death on parcel of crack cocaine and heroin after police stopped his car
Teen who fell to his death at theme park was nearly 100 pounds too heavy for ride
Mum found drowned in bath day before holiday after being incapacitated by alcohol
Source: Read Full Article