British Army veteran dubbed

Ukraine: Russian vehicle flips over fleeing incoming fire

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

A British Army veteran helping defend Ukraine has been dubbed “Rambo” after he survived brutal injuries at the hands of Russian invaders. Shareef Amin, 40, sustained hits from Russian bullets and shrapnel while serving alongside Ukrainian volunteers and was once blown away by artillery. Doctors once believed Afghanistan vet Mr Amin, who has spent nearly nine months embedded in the country, wouldn’t make it, but friends of the hardy Brit are now hoping to fly him home.

The soldier was injured during a deep reconnaissance mission in late October when he came under heavy fire from soldiers.

In a video from his hospital bed, he explained his unit came under heavy artillery fire that “just kept coming”.

He and a Ukrainian nicknamed Professor were sheltering in a trench when he heard a “mighty thud” and saw his friend’s body go limp.

Mr Amin suffered horrific injuries to every limb and two punctured lungs.

He explained that at one point during the onslaught, he looked down and his hand was “hanging off”.

He added: “I thought, ’I’m dead here. This is where I die’. So I accepted it.

“Professor was gone, I couldn’t get him off me. I shouted up to Sham to see if he was still alive and said ‘I can’t get out’.

“This hero, Oleh Shumov, still under fire, jumped out of the trench, grabbed Professor by the helmet and dragged him off my body.”

The soldier – who spent nine years with the British Army 1st Battalion – pulled himself out of the ditch with just one functional arm.

As he rolled into a front crawl, he also noticed a “huge piece of shrapnel” sticking out of his leg that looked like a “tin can”.

At one point, the soldier told his commander he was “in agony” as he felt he was lying on rocks.

But he replied: “You’re not on rocks mate, that’s the shrapnel that’s gone up through your body armour and into your back”.

Mr Amin was extracted while under fire for 20 minutes and eventually taken to hospital via ambulance.

Mr Amin said that, at one point, he overheard doctors whispering that they feared he “wasn’t going to make it”.

Having defied their expectations and started walking again, three pieces of shrapnel now sit in a glass jar on his bedside.

He and his Ukrainian fiancee Helen Vitvickaja are now hoping to return to the UK.

Friends of the couple have organised a crowdfunding campaign to bring the couple and Ms Vitvickaja’s 10-year-old son Platon back home.

The organisers explained that the soldier offered civilians basic training and “life-saving battlefield first aid”, and would need support to get home and recover.

When back in the UK, they believe the Bristolian can get the medical attention he needs.

The campaign on Crowdfunder has raised £6,012 of a £50,000 target, with another 24 days left for people to contribute.

Source: Read Full Article