Boy, 5, drowns in bath while newly widowed mum wrapped Christmas presents

A young boy tragically drowned in the bath while his mum wrapped Christmas presents in another room, an inquest has heard.

The five-year-old is understood to have suffered a seizure in the water before he was found unresponsive on New Year's Eve.

Jayden-Jay Silvester has been described as a "loving son and brother".

Despite the best efforts from his mum Lisa Johnson and NHS staff to resuscitate him, the young boy sadly died later that day.

The horrific event came just 34 days after his father Jason Silvester passed away on November 27, Stoke-on-Trent Live reports.

Jayden-Jay would reportedly regularly tell his mum he wanted to see him and ask where he was.

In a devastating statement, Lisa explained how the tragedy unfolded at their home on Waterside Drive, Blurton.

Lisa said: "Jayden-Jay got on the sofa and didn't want to go to the park because he felt unwell.

"His cheeks were red raw and so hot. Twenty minutes later my mum-in-law and sister-in-law came.

"I asked them to look after the children while I wrapped presents.

"Jayden-Jay came upstairs and asked if he could have a bath and he grabbed his head in pain.

  • Boy, 4, dies after getting head stuck in homemade stairgate

"I went to the bathroom, turned on both taps and put some body wash into it. The bath was half full. I put him in the bath myself.

"I made sure he was OK. At this point he was sat in the bath and I asked my sister-in-law to get some Calpol and put it in Coke as Jayden-Jay wouldn't have it otherwise.

"He only took a sip and I was surprised because he's not usually allowed Coke and I thought he would drink more.

"I went into the bedroom and continued wrapping presents.

"Between five and 10 minutes later I shouted Jayden-Jay to ask if he was OK and he said he was.

"I only had one present left to wrap but I'd run out of paper. His grandmother came up to bring the wrapping paper and I asked her to check on Jayden-Jay.

"I heard her scream and I ran into the bathroom, she pulled him from the bath and I started CPR and chest compressions."

Lisa called 999 and spoke to paramedics until they arrived, he was then rushed to Royal Stoke University Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 5.20pm.

For the latest breaking news and stories from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

The death was concluded to be due to natural causes, area coroner for Stoke-on-Trent and North Staffordshire Emma Serrano, said: "On the balance of probabilities he had a seizure whilst in the bath and that caused him to go under the water and pass away.

"He had a history of seizures when he was younger and had a temperature.

"Sadly because he had a seizure whilst in the bath, he went in the water and he drowned."

Source: Read Full Article