Boy, 14, left with horror burns after attempting Squid Game honeycomb challenge

A teenager was left with agonising third-degree burns after he tried a TikTok challenge based on the hugely popular Netflix show Squid Game.

Aiden Higgie attempted the honeycomb challenge, which is depicted in the hit Korean series, because he was bored in lockdown.

The 14-year-old wanted to have a go at cutting a shape out of the honeycomb with a pin, and set about making his own sugary snack with a recipe he found on TikTok, reports the Daily Mail.

But disaster struck when the non-microwavable plate containing water, bicarb soda, and sugar exploded, firing the boiling hot substance down his leg.

His mum, Helen, told the Daily Telegraph: “'It was like toffee and burnt right through to the nerves.

“Because it was sugar and plastic melted together, it has run down his leg from his knee down to his shin and it stuck and kept on burning and burning and burning.”

The injuries to Aiden’s leg were so bad doctors worried he would need a skin graft.

Since being rushed to hospital, the teenager’s burns are recovering well – but he will still need to spend the next year in a pressure bandage.

Helen added: “It's shocking that such a simple act, like making honeycomb, could have such serious consequences.

“It boiled up to a ridiculous temperature, and when he took the cup out it exploded in his hand.”

Aiden isn’t the only kid to have been burnt attempting the challenge, and doctors said two others were also admitted to Westmead's Children's hospital in the last month.

Stay up to date with all the latest Daily Star news by signing up to one of our newsletters here.

He admitted he decided to do the challenge after seeing it “all over the internet” and hearing his friends had already done it.

Google searches for honeycomb recipes have shot up all over the world amid Squid Game’s success, particularly in Australia, the UK and New Zealand.

A top doctor at the hospital’s Burns Unit, Erik La Hei, said honeycomb toffee mix is especially dangerous because it’s so hot and sticky and can cause “deeper, more serious burns”.

Source: Read Full Article