Brexit: Maitlis grills Barclay on grace period extension
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
Yesterday the Government announced the light-touch regulation schemes on goods from Great Britain to Northern Ireland due to come into place at the end of the month would be delayed until October. The announcement came after fears of catastrophic disruption across the Irish Sea if new red tape was introduced.
Supermarkets would have had to produce export health certificates for all shipments of animal products from the start of April under the Brexit deal.
The new trading relationship between the UK and Brussels has already caused problems for Northern Ireland, which remains a part of the EU single market to protect the Good Friday Agreement, with new red tape introduced.
The unilateral decision to delay the full implementation of the Northern Ireland Protocol has been met with outrage by the EU.
While Brexiteers have welcomed the move, they have urged the Government to go further and replace the Northern Ireland Protocol completely.
READ MORE ON OUR BREXIT LIVE BLOG
First Minister of Northern Ireland and DUP leader Arlene Foster said the move was “a recognition of what is happening in Northern Ireland and the impact of the Protocol”.
Pushing for more than just a delay in the implementation of check on goods moving across the Irish Sea, she said Britain must “put permanent solutions in place which protect the UK internal market”.
Baroness Hoey, who was one of the leading voices of the Leave campaign in 2016, said the “Protocol must go”.
She added the delay in introducing the new red tape was “short term useful” but added it didn’t “reduce the constitutional outrage that the Protocol represents”.
The suspension of the new checks was one of the first decisions made by Lord David Frost in his new role overseeing the UK’s relationship with the EU.
Senior European Research Group member and Tory MP Andrew Bridgen praised Lord Frost for delaying the new paperwork.
He told Express.co.uk: “It’s clear Lord Frost has hit the ground running in his new role managing the relationship with the European Union and implementing the trade and security agreement.”
Criticising the EU for forcing the UK to take such action in the first place, he said Brussels had failed to act reasonably in agreeing a compromise.
The North West Leicestershire MP said the EU was using the Protocol “as a stick to beat the UK with”.
He added: “Effectively we’re in a trade war with the EU now.
Brussels set to SUE Britain for breaking EU rules – EU judges hit UK [UPDATE]
Germany’s coronavirus vaccine ‘failure’ blasted in UK comparison [REACTION]
Brexit worked! Demand for urgent talks over Switzerland’s EU deal [INSIGHT]
Brexit: Steve Barclay says government will ‘defend the UK’
“The fact is virtually all the shots are coming from the EU and that can’t continue.”
The UK has said it remains committed to implementing the Protocol in full.
A Government spokesman yesterday said the decision to suspend the checks would only be temporary.
They said: “Lord Frost explained that the measures announced today, following official-level notification to the Commission earlier this week, were temporary technical steps, which largely continued measures already in place, to provide more time for businesses such as supermarkets and parcel operators to adapt to and implement the new requirements in the Protocol.”
However, the EU has reacted with anger at the move, accusing the UK of breaking international law by failing to properly implement the Brexit withdrawal agreement.
European Commission vice-president Maros Sefcovic, who is in charge of forging the UK’s new relationship with the bloc, held talks with Lord Frost about the decision last night.
A commission statement released after the call on behalf of Mr Sefcovic said: “Following the UK Government’s statement today, vice-president Sefcovic has expressed the EU’s strong concerns over the UK’s unilateral action, as this amounts to a violation of the relevant substantive provisions of the protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland and the good faith obligation under the Withdrawal Agreement.
“This is the second time that the UK Government is set to breach international law.
“This also constitutes a clear departure from the constructive approach that has prevailed up until now, thereby undermining both the work of the Joint Committee and the mutual trust necessary for solution-oriented co-operation.”
The UK said short term operational measures were “well precedented” in other international trade arrangements.
Source: Read Full Article