‘I’ve got a £980 Flybe holiday booked – will I get my money back?’

Have you got a money problem you'd like help with?

Whether you've been ripped off by a rogue retailer, misled by a dodgy firm or let down by your employer, we'd like to hear from you.

Mirror Money has launched a new support column to help address your consumer and financial woes.

We'll be showcasing your stories and offering some help and tips on how you can address them – whatever the issue.

This can be anything from being overcharged on your mobile phone bill to having your savings hacked or your bank account frozen.

We want to put the power back in your hands and help you make the right decisions – so get in touch.

Have you got an issue for us to investigate? Email a summary to emma.munbodh@mirror.co.uk with 'Money Troubles' and a contact number in the subject line.

'I've got a Flybe holiday booked – will I get my money back?'

  • MONEY TROUBLES: "I've been sent a child benefit tax bill for £8,000 – is this legal?"

  • MONEY TROUBLES: 'Universal credit flaw makes it look like I've been paid twice'

I booked a flight with Flybe earlier this year and I'm due to travel in May – but what will happen now that the airline has gone bust?

I booked two tickets for a friend and I, travelling from Southampton to Glasgow return, departing on May 8 and returning on May 23.

The tickets were booked through online travel agent Esky and I paid using my HSBC credit card.

Should I use chargeback to get my money back?

I don't have travel insurance and Flybe have not been in touch with any details.

I'm retired and worried I'll lose my £980 because of this.

What can I do?

Dear David,

Thousands of people will have woken up to the Flybe news this morning – and like you, it's thrown all of their travel plans into chaos.

Firstly, it's important to know that as things currently stand, your flight won't go ahead. The collapse of the airline has meant all planes have been grounded and services cancelled.

There are no alternatives for most people other than to book another flight.

So, it's time to get your money back.

The good news is your rights are strong as you booked via a credit card.

However, chargeback is not the right scheme for you. This protects people who booked via debit card – in your case, it's a HSBC credit card.

Instead, you'll have to claim through Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 – we've got a full guide on how this works, here.

Essentially, it protects your money if you paid for any goods or services (between £100 and £30,000) on plastic. In your case, you paid £980, which means you're covered.

This right is particularly useful if the retailer or trader has gone bust, which is the case here.

To get your money back, you can raise a Section 75 claim with HSBC online. Bear in mind though, that it can take up to 105 days to go through.

In terms of your other options, it's highly unlikely that you'll get a refund from the airline directly.

This is because you, like the majority of Flybe travellers, bought flight tickets separately, not as part of a package holiday.

This means that your only options are your credit or debit card provider, or for other passengers, travel insurance.

Nearly half of travel insurance policies have scheduled airline failure cover as standard, with around 20% having it as an optional add-on which costs extra, according to figures compiled by data analysts Defaqto.

If you're affected by today's Flybe news and have travel insurance, now is the time to contact your provider.

For cheaper purchases, or if a debit card was used, try and claim from your card provider under the chargeback system, although this is not a legal right and not always successful.

We've got a full guide on your Flybe rights, here.


Money Troubles aims to be informative and engaging. Though it may include tips and information, it does not constitute advice and should not be used as a basis for any financial decisions.

All information in this post was correct at date of publication.

Source: Read Full Article